Warm weather in New England will have the sweet corn crop ready a couple of weeks ahead of schedule. Here’s a great new recipe for Grilled Corn Chowder. Try it and you’ll see why corn chowder became so popular. Serve with freshly baked corn muffins and you’ve got yourself a meal.
Grilled Corn Chowder
Grilled fresh corn, red and green chilies simmered in a vegetable stock, thickened with heavy cream and garnished with a dollop chili cream.
Estimated Time: 1 Hour and 45 minutes
YIELD: 12 Servings
5 cloves Garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
5 ears Fresh Corn on the cob, husks and silks removed
2 quarts Vegetable Stock
2 each JalapeÃ±o chilies, preferably red, washed, seeded, and finely minced
5 Ounces Heavy cream
Salt, to taste
1 cup Carrots, washed and peeled and diced Â½ inch
1 cup Celery stalks, washed and trimmed and diced Â½ inch
1 cup Onions, peeled and diced Â½ inch
Â¾ cup Chili cream, optional
Â¾ cup Sour Cream
1 tablespoon Cilantro, fresh, minced
1 each Jalapeno chili, green or red, finely minced
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 400Â° F.
2. In a small sautÃ© pan over medium heat, sautÃ© the garlic in oil for 1 minute, remove cloves from pan, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Brush the corn cobs with the garlic oil from the sautÃ© pan, and place on hot grill, turning frequently, until golden brown.
4. In a large stock or soup pot, combine the vegetable stock, diced vegetables, and JalapeÃ±o Chilies. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Using a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from each cob and add them to the soup pot. Continue to simmer until all of the vegetables are very tender.
6. Pour the soup in a food processor and purÃ©e. Do not strain. Return to the soup pot, bring back to a boil, and reduce to desired consistency.
7. Temper the heavy cream, and then add it to the soup. Season, to taste, and serve immediately in pre-heated cups, garnish with Chili cream.
To Make Chili cream:
1 . Place Â¾ cup of sour cream in a small bowl. Add 1-tablespoon fresh minced cilantro and 1 finely diced red or green jalapeno pepper. Place a small dollop on each serving.
Chef Notes: Here is a suggested variation for this recipe:
â€¢Do not Puree the soup
â€¢Thicken it with strips of Flour tortillas, continue whisking until well combined
â€¢Serve a Corn Muffin on top of crisp tortilla wedge with a dollop of Chili cream as a garnish.
Do you love shrimp? Be sure to try East Coast Gourmet very own Shrimp and Corn Chowder! Enter CH10 at online checkout and get $10 off your chowder order!