Fish cakes or Cod Cakes are a New England classic. Serve as a main dish, or, has been done in New England since the 17th century, serve with baked beans as a Sunday breakfast!
1. Soak the codfish in cold water for eight hours, and drain.
2. Cover with more fresh water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for five minutes.
3. Drain, saving the stock.
4. Shred the codfish, discarding any skin and bones that still remain.
5. Add the potatoes to the fish, and cover with the stock.
6. Mash the potatoes and fish together while still in the stock, and drain off excess liquid.
8. Saute the onions until they have begun to turn golden brown.
9. Add the onions and the white sauce to the potato and fish mixture.
10. When the mixture is cool, shape into patties about 4″ in diameter and about 1/2” thick.
11. Dip the patties into the eggs, roll into the bread crumbs, then pan fry in oil over moderate heat until they are brown on all sides.
Looking to order cod fish cakes? We make them from scratch and can deliver them to your door, no matter where you live. See our special Cod Fish Cakes.