- East Coast Gourmet Blog - http://www.eastcoastgourmet.com/blog -
Steamed Mussels Recipe
Posted By Charlie On April 19, 2010 @ 12:35 am In Mussels,Shellfish | No Comments
A steaming bowl of mussels and some crusty bread are simple and delicious. Here is a classic recipe for steamed mussels ready in about 10 minutes. Offer a large bowl into which guests can discard empty mussel shells. 
Serves 2 main course or 4 appetizer servings.
Mussels Steamed Ingredients
2 pounds cultured (farm-raised) mussels
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons diced Vidalia or other sweet onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as basil or parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 to 3 teaspoons butter or extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Freshly ground back pepper
Gently rinse mussels under cold running water. Discard mussels with broken shells. Squeeze the sides of mussels with shells that are open (or gaping). If they do not firmly close, discard these gapers as well.
2. In a large pot, combine the wine, water, onion, herbs, and garlic. Add mussels to pot and bring to a boil over high head. Reduce heat to medium.
3. Time for 3 minutes (the minimum time mussels need to steam). Using a large spoon, stir mussels gently, cover pan tightly, and steam until all shells open, about 3-5 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
4. Using a slotted spoon, divide mussels among individual rimmed soup plates. Leave any unopened mussels in pot, cover pot tightly, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 more minutes to see if mussels open. Discard any mussels that remain unopened at this point.
5. Return heat to high and vigorously boil mussels broth for 1 minute to concentrate the flavors. Enrich broth with butter or olive oil, if desired. Add pepper to taste. Ladle the broth equally over the mussels. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
Article printed from East Coast Gourmet Blog: http://www.eastcoastgourmet.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.eastcoastgourmet.com/blog/mussels-steamed/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.eastcoastgourmet.com/
 how to buy fresh mussels : http://www.lobsteranywhere.com/lobster-tail-blog/fresh-mussels.html
 LobsterAnywhere.com: http://www.lobsteranywhere.com
 Image: http://www.linkwithin.com/
Copyright © 2008 East Coast Blog. All rights reserved.